Tuesday 14 June 2011

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand: Review

On the 2nd May 2011, Cynthia Hand's first book Unearthly was released in the UK, but unfortunately I wasn't able to read it until the 11th June even though I got it on the 10th. I'll explain...
On the June 10th I turned eighteen, and like most typical teenagers I went out on my birthday, I then got Unearthly as a gift from one of my closest friends but I was unable to read it until the next day.
About the book:

In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees . . . .

Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.
Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place—and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.
As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make—between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny? 

What I thought about the book:
I thought this book was truly and completely amazing, it had my full attention throughout the book. It was beautifully written, and I am in agony at the thought of how long it may take for the second book Hallowed to be released. But I just couldn't help myself, I completely devoured this book- it was that good!
Clara is our part- angel heroine in this book, who starts off as a gorgeous blonde from california to a new kid in Wyoming who has the misfortune of being nicknamed 'Carrots' when the hair dye she puts in her hair goes tragically wrong.
We then meet the two guys who catch Clara's attention. Christian and Tucker. Christian is the dark smouldering guy she has the death threatening visions about and is the 'purpose' of her existence, where as Tucker is the is the hot rugged guy who starts off as a 'rude hick' and turns out to be something much more.
As the story progresses and Clara learns more about 'Angel Bloods', she just ends up finding herself in more danger than she ever thought she could be. With her life and her destiny. But she makes a choice that I would have totally made if I was in her place, especially with the ending being as it was. Then we have this major bump in the story that took such an unexpected turn, it left me both shocked and excited.
I put my hands up to you Cynthia, it was sheer genius.
I am worried about how this is going to play out though, because I really don't want anything to come between Clara and the love of her life. *Sighs* Oh well, not much to be done about that, I just hope Cynitha plays nicely and doesn't break to many hearts- like mine.


No comments:

Post a Comment