Wednesday 15 June 2011

Goddess of Troy by P.C. Cast: Review

Goddesses Hera, Athena and Venus have had it up to here with the Trojan War. So much devastation - all because of male egos. 
The worst of the bunch is Achilles, the Greek champion whose powers have made him practically invincible. To stop him would be to end the war. But the only way to stop a man like Achilles is to distract him - with something far more pleasurable than combat 
The three goddesses seize their chance when a twenty-first-century beauty named Kat and her best friend perish in a car crash in Tulsa, Oklahoma. In no time, they shift the friends souls into the bodies of a Trojan princess and her handmaiden, having no doubt that Kat will catch Achilles' attention. But can her independent, fiery spirit match the unquenchable fire of his epic rage?

Review:
I can't say that I know much about the story of Achilles, or even about Helen and Paris. I think the most I know about it is basically what was kind of written in this and from what I've seen in the 2004 movie adaption of Troy. So I kind of know the gist of what may have happened. 
Anyways, I did love P.C. Cast's version of Achilles. He's this fierce brave warrior who is closed off from everyone else, except from his men but only a little bit. But when he meets Kat/Polyxena he is curious about her and then he finds himself desiring her, which if you've read the book you know it isn't very safe. Which is why he tries to distance himself from her, but Kat doesn't let him. He then gets to know her, and relaxes around her and then they- you got it- fall in love.
I have to tell you, even though I found this book utterly brilliant- and one of my favourites- Kat and Achilles were definitely not my favourite couple in this book, and honestly it's not a romantic couple that are my all time fave. It's a couple of friends that I think are the best. Kat and Jacky. 
They're so hilarious, and I just love the bond they have, the way the joke around and how they know each other so well. I was in hysterics when Jacky- who was originally an 'african queen'- was put in a white maids body, and then later on was shrieking about her new blonde 'va-jay-jay', and then when she was questioning Kat about whether or not she had sex with Achilles, and then all but screaming that Kat must have sat on his face. *laughs* 
So yeah, I completely loved this book, and I applaud P.C. Cast on her brilliant imagination and on sharing it with the world. We owe her a huge thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment